Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

Horses in Business

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Click here to become a Niles Historical Society Member or to renew your membership

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.


 

 

 

 

 

Ray Donadio delivering milk for Warren Sanitary Milk Company in 1954.

Ray Donadio delivering milk for Warren Sanitary Milk Company in 1954.

Horses in Businesses.

At the turn of the twentieth century, horses were still the main source of pulling power whether it be wagons, carriages or people. Hotels had a livery stable for boarding guests' horses and wagons and also to rent for local transportation. Trains provided transportation between towns and cities. Some cities had urban and inter-urban trolley service.

Most businesses used horses to distribute their goods throughout Niles; grocery stores, bottling companies and moving companies to name a few.

Several milk companies used horses in delivering their products to local homes, Warren Sanitary Milk Company used horses for delivery as late as 1954 to the north side of Niles.

Other milk companies are listed below:

A badly damaged photo of a horse and wagon run by Thomas Madden at some time before the turn of the century as Excelsior Dairy before it became the Madden-Hubbard Milk Company..

H.C. Mines and the Brown-Fordyce Dairy wagon.

Wilson's Dairy delivering milk on Linden Avenue in Niles.


A badly damaged photo of a horse and wagon run by Thomas Madden at some time before the turn of the century as Excelsior Dairy.

A badly damaged photo of a horse and wagon run by Thomas Madden at some time before the turn of the century as Excelsior Dairy.
PO1.1426

H.C. Mines and the Brown-Fordyce Dairy wagon.

H.C. Mines and the Brown-Fordyce Dairy wagon. PO1.1931

Wilson's Dairy delivering milk on Linden Avenue in Niles.

Wilson's Dairy delivering milk on Linden Avenue in Niles.


Glass bottle used by Madden-Hubbard Milk Company.

Many old-timers will remember this building as having housed the Madden-Hubbard Milk Company many years ago.

Left: Glass bottle used by Madden-Hubbard Milk Company.

Center: The front of the Niles Lawnmower building, 532 Vienna Avenue, is being torn down and will be replaced with a new showroom. Niles Daily Times photograph.

Tony Bernard, owner and manager, made the announcement that work had begun on the building (1964).

Many old-timers will remember this building as having housed the Madden-Hubbard Milk Company many years ago.

Horse and wagon, White Line Bottle Works on Wagon parked in front of the store of Ward Jones "Slate, Job work, Roofing , Tin, Iron" on store front.

South Main Street downtown ( Stoneyard is located here today, 2022).

Horse and wagon, White Line Bottle Works on Wagon parked in front of the store of Ward Jones "Slate, Job work, Roofing , Tin, Iron" on store front. PO 7.99


The H.F. Rider grocery store was located near the corner of East Federal and the west side if Vienna Avene. The horse and buckboard were used to pick up and deliver goods to customers and restock the store.

The H.F. Rider grocery store was located near the corner of East Federal and the west side if Vienna Avene. The horse and buckboard were used to pick up and deliver goods to customers and restock the store.

Pictured: Henry F. Rider, Howard H. Rider, Jr., Myrtle, Elizabeth and Clyde Rider.

Henry F. Rider was born in Baltimore, Maryland, on May 15, 1860, the son of George and Margaret Rider.

In 1905, he started the grocery business which he conducted until the time of his death and in the same location in which it has always been located (142 Vienna Avenue).

Henry and his wife lived in the second floor above the store. His son, Howard, has been associated with his father in the store.

When Riders closed in 1957, the Macali’s bought most of the hardscape from inside the grocery store.

The building at 142 Vienna Avenue, where the Rider's Grocery Store opened in 1905, is still standing and is occupied today (2021).


1898 photo of Holloway's Livery & Undertaking which was located on East Park Avenue in Niles.

1898 photo of Holloway's Livery & Undertaking which was located on East Park Avenue in Niles.

James C. Holloway (hands on hips) and Ray Holloway - by door. PO1.238

1916 - A. DeJute & Sons. L to R: Steve Ratchie, Bill Bridgens, Frank DeJute and Angeline DeJute.

1916 - A. DeJute & Sons. L to R: Steve Ratchie, Bill Bridgens, Frank DeJute and Angeline DeJute.

The company was founded in the 1890's and operated until 1962. They paved many of the streets of the city with 2 types of bricks: Bessemer, red in color, and manufactured in Bessemer, PA, and Demster, yellow in color made in Kittanning, PA.

Underneath the blacktop on many of our streets are still the bricks put down 50 years ago by the DeJute Co. As of 1976, North Crandon. Beaver, Brown and Summit Streets. are a few of the remaining brick streets in Niles. PO1.239

Sandman's Draying service was a fore-runner of trucking companies in Niles.

Sandman's Draying service was a fore-runner of trucking companies in Niles.

Sandman's was located at 112 Maple Avenue in Niles. PO1.1722


Celebrating a picnic at the old Central High School which was located on Furnace Street, now State Street, near Church Street.

The road was dirt and transportation was by horse and wagon. PO1.1221

President McKinley's first grade teacher in a carriage in front of the Allison Hotel at the intersection of North Main Street and Park Avenue.

President McKinley's first grade teacher in a carriage in front of the Allison Hotel at the intersection of North Main Street and Park Avenue. This was taken at a parade in Niles unknown date.

Taken by May Unger John, mother of George John. PO11.351

Holloway's 1894 "Black Maria" that provided the final journey for many of Niles' dearly departed.

Holloway's 1894 "Black Maria" that provided the final journey for many of Niles' dearly departed. PO1.1424


View of a horsedrawn fire engine standing on State Street.

View of a horsedrawn fire engine standing on State Street. The building on the right is Guarnieri's Confectionary Store. The building on the left is the old Warner Theatre. This photo was taken about 1900. PO1.1591

 

The American Railway Express. Charles Robinson is featured with his horse and wagon in the 1920's. PO1.2022

George Swegan started an ice house and used to cut blocks of ice from the Mosquito Creek and deliver it in horse-drawn carts like the one pictured.

George Swegan started an ice house and used to cut blocks of ice from the Mosquito Creek and deliver it in horse-drawn carts like the one pictured. PO2.434


L to R: Pete Granada, Mariona Granada and Nick Perna. PO1.246

Peddlar's wagon from Cicero's Store - 1915. The automobile is a 1915 one door Ford sedan. The door was in the middle of the passenger side of the car.

Pete Cicero came from Italy to Pittsburgh before 1900. In 1903 he returned to Italy. In 1914 he left Italy and came to Niles, Ohio. He and his huckster wagon soon became a familiar sight in Niles.

‘Mr. Pete’, as he was known, was very well liked and his fruits and vegetables were the freshest that could be found.

In 1925 he built a grocery store on East Park Avenue near the old Niles Firebrick office. He passed his knowledge of merchandizing to his grandsons.

In 1951, his grandson, Joseph Cicero took over the store when ‘Mr. Pete’ retired. In 1962 Joseph Cicero built a new and larger store on Robbins Avenue. PO1.246


Racing on the Mahoning River. Above the banks of the Mahoning River run the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks. The water tower is iced due to the cold wintry weather. PO1.1414

A photo of a float from the 1909 Homecoming parade. Eaton Builders Supply, located on Church Street.

A photo of a float from the 1909 Homecoming parade. Eaton Builders Supply, located on Church Street. PO1.2014

A photo of the Columbus Day parade in 1918 which combined the founding of America and the victory of WWI. PO1.1224


     

  Copyright©2008-2022, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top