Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

History of the Niles Bank Building

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Click here to become a Niles Historical Society Member or to renew your membership

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.


 

 

 

 

 

The first building erected in 1842 on the present site of the Niles Trust Company.

The Harris House was erected in 1842 on the present site of the Niles Trust Company.
Photo dated September 1866. PO1.425

Pictured L-R are:
Martha J.Robbins, Sarah A.Pew, Hannah M.Taylor, A.F.Harris, C.G.Harris, Mrs. James Harris, F.W.Harris and H.J.Harris.

Landmark Corner of Downtown Niles

Of the 54 lots platted in 1834, James and Warren Heaton owned 23 parcels including the lot at the intersection of South Main Street and West James Street ( now Park Avenue).

From 1842-1865 the building, located on this site, served as a hotel. It became the Harris family residence from 1865-1905. From then until 1920 it was used for various businesses and storage. At that time it was sold by the Harris heirs to the Niles Trust Company and was demolished in 1929.

It was to become the site of the first Niles mini-skyscraper-The Niles Trust Company Bank Building.

To learn more about the Harris Family story, Click Here.

 


The corner of South Main Street and West Park Avenue showing the newspaper stand, the Lor-A-Lee diner in the right-hand back, the tower of the old City Building, the advertisement is on the side of Krieger's Pool Hall.
PO1.266

The corner of South Main Street and West Park Avenue showing the newspaper stand, the Lor-A-Lee diner in the right-hand back, the tower of the old City Building, the advertisement is on the side of Krieger's Pool Hall.

Later, Reisman's would build between Krieger's and the bank building. PO1.226

Photo of newsboys in front of the Niles magazine and newspaper store at the corner of South Main Street and West Park Avenue.

Photo of newsboys in front of the Niles magazine and newspaper store at the corner of South Main Street and West Park Avenue.

Photo taken November 19, 1929 before the newspaper stand was torn down prior to the construction of the Niles Trust Company.

Photograph of an early advertisement of the officers of one of the first banks in Niles. The First National Bank was the forerunner of the Niles Trust Co.
PO1.32A

Photograph of an early advertisement of the officers of one of the first banks in Niles. The First National Bank was the forerunner of the Niles Trust Co.

This advertisement is dated 1895.


Niles Tallest Building

The construction of the mini-skyscraper by the Niles Trust Company on the site of the former Harris residence began on November 25, 1929 and was completed in 1930.

A pictorial record of the construction was made by P.T. Alfonsi, a Niles photographer who eventually had his portrait studio located in the bank building.

Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.20

Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.21A

Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.22

A series of photographs documenting the various stages of the construction of the Niles Trust Company Building.

Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.16
Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.26

Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.18
Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.19
Construction of the Niles Trust Co. took place in November 25, 1929.
PO1.23

Photograph of the beginning of the vault inside the Niles Trust Co.
PO1.31A

Photograph taken of the safety deposit vault in the Niles Trust Company.
PO1.30

Front view, dated March 13, 1930, of the nearly-complete bank building.
PO1.25

Left top: Photograph of the beginning of the vault inside the Niles Trust Co.

Left bottom: Photograph taken of the safety deposit vault in the Niles Trust Company.

Rear view of the bank building taken from the Police and Fire Department building .
PO1.26

Center: Front view, dated March 13, 1930, of the nearly-complete bank building.

Right: Rear view of the bank building taken from the Police and Fire Department building .


Photograph of the interior staircase leading up to the balcony from the main lobby of the Niles Trust Company on opening day.
PO1.28

Photograph of the main lobby in the Niles Trust Company on opening day.
PO1.29

Left: Photograph of the interior staircase leading up to the balcony from the main lobby of the Niles Trust Company on opening day.

Thr bank was completed in the Art-Deco style popular in the 1920's and 1930's. Heavy use of deep colored marble and shining bronze is evident throughout the building.

Photograph of the main lobby in the Niles Trust Company on opening day.
PO1.27

Middle and right: Photograph of the main lobby in the Niles Trust Company on opening day.


Photograph taken after completion of the Niles Trust Company building in 1930.
PO1.33

Left: Photograph taken after completion of the Niles Trust Company building in 1930.

Exterior frontage and large front doors fabricated in the Art-Deco style.

Photograph of the exterior of the National City Bank building in Niles, Ohio dated March, 1989.

Formerly known as the Niles Trust Company, it was constructed in 1929-30 and stands on the southwest corner of South Main and West Park Streets.

Between the Holeton building, occupied by Kreiger’s Pool Hall, and the bank a new building was erected and occupied by Reisman’s.


PO1.34

The 1961 occupants of the bank building by room number.

Basement-Mary Loise Megert Dance Studio
302 Dr. Abraham Hoodin
303 Niles Community Corporation
304 Dr. I. E. Benis
305 Dr. Sam Jaffe
306 American Red Cross
307, Dr. R. G. Davis
308-10 Martha Jaynes’ Beauty School,

401 Mansell Insurance Agency
402 Paul Moritz
403 Wilson Insurance Agency
404 General Adj Bureau,
405 vacant
406 Clare Westenfield
409 Credit Bureau of Niles
409 Trumbull Credit Bureau,
501 Kinderman Stl M Equip
502-3 Mitch Shaker
504 vacant
505 Brown Adj Co,
506 Baringer & Co,
507 MacQueen & MacQueen
508 Johnson Agency
509 vacant
601-2 Dr. Nick and Tony Altiero
603 Longberry Employment Svc
605-08 SV Wilder, Wilder MFG Co, Wilder products Co.
609-10 vacant,
Penthouse-Niles Area Chamber of Commerce.

     

  Copyright©2008-2022, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top